My Button!

Please feel free to grab my button!
Photobucket

Thursday, March 5, 2009

God Sees and Sends

Time Published IconBy Marilyn Ehle on March 2nd, 2009 at 2:00 am in Devotional, Devotional For Women

Are you waiting for God but he doesn’t seem to be answering? Try out online interactive study “Why Doesn’t God Answer my Prayer?

“I have indeed seen the misery of my people…I have heard them crying out…I am concerned about their suffering … So now, go! I am sending you …” Exodus 3:7-10

“And God spoke with Moses face-to-face, as neighbors speak to one another… “ Exodus 33:11 (The Message)

It is far easier to ask God to end sorrow and suffering than it is to agree to be His instrument in the process. Have you heard any of the following reasons people give to rationalize their non-involvement in what could be called the down-and-dirty aspects of service to others? “I’m too old (or young!)” “I wouldn’t know what to say to people like that.” “I give money. Isn’t that enough?” “It’s time for others to work.” “I’m not smart/rich/talented/educated enough.”

Moses, too, gave God good reasons why he could not possibly be a chosen instrument. In fact, his reasons sound much more rational than those noted above. First, he wanted to be sure exactly who was sending him. He asked God to more clearly describe himself. God responded with words that resound through the ages: “I AM WHO I AM.” Then Moses made what seems like a perfectly adequate and realistic comment: “I have never been eloquent…I am slow of speech.” Some surmise that Moses was a stutterer, but whatever the weakness, he apparently did not have what he thought to be necessary skills to speak to a powerful king.

We can understand Moses’ hesitance—his obedience was to be unutterably costly. When he finally agreed to be used of God as an instrument, he was granted the remarkable privilege of speaking face to face with God. God is waiting for His followers to be similar instruments in a weary, pain-laden, starving world. Perhaps some of us will only hear God speaking as a neighbor when we agree to be sent.

Father, I don’t want to miss out on your purposes but I admit that I am often fearful. I hesitate to act because I’m not sure about the future. ‘I believe, but help my unbelief.’

Questions: How has God sent you into the world recently? What did you learn about God from the experience?

About this Author: Marilyn J. Ehle

Daily audio podcast: A second daily devotional, We Serve God By Serving Others, today on the Men’s Devotional Blog

No comments: